I made quite a bit of progress on my jacket. A lot of the work in a jacket is in preparing and marking pattern pieces. I’m using linen as fabric (yes, it will be for a warmer season ) and as it’s generally known this is very prone to wrinkling I chose to interface all pieces with a thin fusible interfacing. Something I’ve done before with similar linen fabric and it reduced the wrinkling a lot. The pattern pieces with the thin interfacing I then use as were it one fabric. So the front is interfaced with an extra layer of a heavier weight interfacing, because that is what you do with the front of a jacket. This I would always do, and it’s in the Burda instructions too.
Though I’m not a quilter, I do have a large quilting ruler. I often use it when I place the pattern pieces on the fabric. When aligning the ruler with the edge of the fabric, it’s easy to line the straight of grain line of the pattern piece with the ruler lines. With your hand on the side of the ruler, you can move the pattern piece under it and align.
Another possibility is to align again with a pattern piece that’s more to the middle of the fabric: lay the edge of the ruler on the straight of grain line of a pattern piece that you alreay pinned to align the piece next to it. Easy and quick!
It might look as if I’m very fast with my sewing, but to me it’s mainly about efficiency. I’ve sewn the back pieces, the sleeves and the front pieces together in one session and pressed the seams. I like that way of working. The sleeves and back will be laid aside for now, the next step will be making the pockets in the front and add a shoulder shield. Thats for tomorrow, and you bet I will make a test for the welt pocket first!
I concluded my previous post with one of my non-sewing photos and I think it’s fun to continue with it. This is the beach near The Hague on a late winter afternoon.