A bag for sewing notions

by | Dec 29, 2020 | bag making, blog | 1 comment

Bag making is an area of sewing that I have limited experience with. I’ve made quite a few purses to try techniques, made a handbag or two and that’s about it. I’ve been intrigued though by making a few things to help me get more organised. 

I’ve watched quite a lot of Annie Unrein’s classes on Craftsy in the past two years. She’s a good and clear teacher. Currently I’m making the pattern Running with scissors, a bag to organise sewing tools and make it easy to carry them along. Seems handy for my sewing lessons. It could be great for other hobby supplies too.

 

There is no Craftsy class for this specific pattern. The techniques used are very similar though to the patterns she demonstrates in her classes. That is a bit of an advantage, but it did not prevent me from having serious problems understanding the pattern instructions. 

Part of those problems are probably me. I found it difficult to visualise which part was where on the finished bag. Pocket A or Pocket B turn out to be the pockets on the outside, but it’s stated nowhere in the beginning of the instructions.  You cut them but in the instructions these parts are used after other pockets. A clear diagram indicating which pocket belongs where would have been helpful. Also for planning which fabric to use for each part.

All byAnnie patterns work from the assumption that you use quilted fabric. As that happens not to be what I personally like it was a bit more complicated to know/understand what pattern pieces I had to cut. I think it’s perfectly do-able to make this from fabric that’s not quilted.  

The rest of the instructions are clear, step by step and there’s a helpful sheet at the end with squares with all the parts you need. If you copy that sheet you can easily keep track of what’s what.

For fabrics and notions I had to rely on my stash, as I didn’t want to buy online at the moment (and non-essential shops are still closed). Luckily I have a lot of zippers that I bought in bulk once, but I only had enough black ones for this pattern. That’s why I also chose black fabric. For the vinyl I used vinyl paper holders. Slightly too narrow, so I added a strip of fabri on the side.

On the photo you see how I did the layers of fabric: in the center is the stabilizer (soft and stable) and I sewed fabric on both sides, using a zigzag stitch.

 

The rest of the instructions are clear, step by step and there’s a helpful sheet at the end with squares with all the parts you need. If you copy that sheet you can easily keep track of what’s what.

For fabrics and notions I had to rely on my stash, as I didn’t want to buy online at the moment (and non-essential shops are still closed). Luckily I have a lot of zippers that I bought in bulk once, but I only had enough black ones for this pattern. That’s why I also chose black fabric. For the vinyl I used vinyl paper holders. Slightly too narrow, so I added a strip of fabri on the side.

 

Categories

Archives

Follow on Bloglovin

Subscribe

1 Comment

  1. Sharon

    I have a couple of Annie’s patterns but so far haven’t tried any of them. Another fan of non-quilting fabric.

    Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.